Monday, July 7, 2008

Electrical Problems

It's been a busy summer and while I haven't had a lot of time to work on the car, I have been enjoying it. In driving it around, I have had several instances where the car would pretend to have a dead battery.

The previous owner had replaced the battery and put a modern alternator with a built-in voltage regulator on it -- the battery is fine and charging system is fine. The cables to the body and starter seems to have developed some corrosion and fail to let enough voltage through to turn the car over.

When the car won't start, I get out, jiggle the negative and positive wires at the body, starter connections and viola. I need to get disconnect, lightly sand the connections, and put some dielectric grease on them to prevent corrosion from building it back up and preventing the starter from turning over.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That corrosion reminds me of a problem I used to have back at World Gym - I fixed it with some grease as well.

Steve Kinder said...

If you die you die. Get Huge.